With the days becoming crisper and shorter, it seams soup season is rapidly approaching. This creamy, dreamy Wild Rice and Chicken soup will help you accept the changing seasons more willingly… because ready or not, here it comes! Not only is it the perfect balance of chicken and cream; the wild rice adds just the right amount of nuttiness to create a soup that will have your taste testers begging for more.
Good friends share good recipes… better friends help them fix them until they are perfect.
A HUGE shout out to my great friend Deanna for helping make this recipe as great as it is. Not only did she blindly try it out; she fed it to a whole crew of apple pie makers gathered for a school fundraiser. Brave heart that one is. Her bravery turned into her phone popping texts and messages all afternoon as more and more ladies asked her for the recipe.
Ladies… here it is! 🙂
I encourage you to give this soup a try, and leave a loving comment for Deanna- she’s the one responsible for the changes that made this soup the pot of gold that it is!
A quick note about the rice. Wild rice (associate link) is not like your typical short grain white. It’s nutrient profile is far more impressive, and it’s flavor much deeper and nuttier. When cooked, it still lends a chewier texture than traditional white rice, making it perfect for soups. I use a wild rice blend for this recipe- it prevents the soup from turning purple (as it would if you used straight wild rice), and tastes great!
The cost too is a bit different than white, but trust me it’s worth the extra for this recipe.
Here’s some products I found helpful for this recipe:
- Minced Garlic – not every garlic is created equal. One teaspoon of this minced garlic = 2 garlic cloves! There’s 76 cloves in a single jar!
- Italian Seasoning – I actually use an Italian Salad dressing mix as my Italian seasoning! You might like this low sodium blend!
- Chicken Broth – Keeping cartons of chicken broth in my home just doesn’t happen. My kitchen is about the size of a closet, so I prefer dry mixes that I can add the water to myself. This blend is not only a space saver, it has the added benefit of B12 vitamins too!
I’d really love to hear what you think! Comment below to share if you loved it too!
Looking for more great recipes and ideas? Sign up for email updates!
Creamy, Dreamy Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
This creamy, dreamy Wild Rice and Chicken soup will help you accept the changing seasons more willingly. Not only is it the perfect balance of chicken and cream; the wild rice adds just the right amount of nuttiness to create a soup that will have your taste testers begging for more!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 celery stalks, sliced into 1/4" pieces
- 3 large carrots, sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt less if not using a lower sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breast
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain wild rice blend
In a heavy bottom pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add celery, carrots, and onion, and cook until they begin to soften: about 7-10 minutes.
Stir in flour. Continue stirring for 1 more minute.
Gently stir in chicken broth, garlic, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and salt and pepper.
Add wild rice. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken breasts. Cover and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove chicken breast and cut or shred into bite-sized pieces
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender- approximately 10 minutes.
Add cream and milk at end of cooking, simmer slowly until heated through.
Season to taste.